The Horse B.C. Chop Off (ACO) & Ride In Bike Show
one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a professional...
This is the competition where regular guys get to see what it is like to build a chopper to a fixed schedule. It looks simple on television, mock-up, fabrication, send it out to paint and assemble it on the eve of the show.
Except it never works out that way in real life. Bills have to be paid, things happen, the wife wants shoes instead of you buying a new tire, you have no heat in the shed and it’s 40 below out there in the Polar Vortex. You can catch the flu and get way behind, maybe work picks up and they have you doing a bunch of overtime and no time for the project!
Anything can and will happen to these poor bastards trying to get these chops together for the Chop Off, the least you can do is check out what they ended up with.
Want to compete in the Chop Off?
The surest way to be selected as one of the Chop Off builders, is to win the ride in bike show at the Smoke Out. If you are selected, you will have a slot to be one of the Chop Off builders for the following year, if you're up to it.
The finalist that are chosen will be announced, they will start and we will post updates of their builds in the magazine but we don’t know how many will make it, we usually lose a couple because they couldn’t finish.
- The final finished bikes will be on display
- Judging will be a Voting system where the audience will vote for the best bike
- The Winner will take home a cool trophy and $500 prize
Rules the builders follow:
- No ‘pro’ shops are allowed to compete, in other words you cannot do this for a living.
- This must be a “new” project, so no “already been building for six months’ stories.”
- Build whatever you want, no restrictions.
- Entrant must show up with finished running bike at the appointed time and location. At that time, the bike must start, and it must complete the ride under its own power.
- Bike will remain on display during the event for voting.
- The winning bike will be announced during the awards later that day.
- The winning bike will be shot for a full spread in the magazine and a possible cover. We can’t promise the cover like the last but we’re willing to try. In the end, everybody wins, they all have a brand new chopper, and we get to see them, not too shabby!
- The other finished bikes will also be featured in the magazine in the event article.