Source: Chef EMERIL LAGASSE - URL: https://www.emerils.com/124088/sangria
Depending on the type of red wine you use, whether it is light bodied like a Beaujolais or deep and rich like a Cabernet, add the sparkling water to taste. Sangria is best enjoyed the day it is made, otherwise the oils from the citrus rind begin to impart flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: About 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup orange flavored liqueur (recommended: triple sec or Grand Marnier)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 orange, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 unwaxed apple, cored, and cut into thin wedges
- 1 (750-ml) bottle sparkling water, or to taste, chilled
- Combine everything but the sparkling water in a large plastic container or glass pitchers. Cover and chill completely, 1 to 2 hours. When ready to serve, add 2 cups of the sparkling water. Adding more to taste, if desired.