Date Created/Published: c1900
The first Wright home, located at 7 Hawthorn Street, Dayton, Ohio, was occupied by the Wright family from 1871 to 1914.
Though Milton and Susan Wright moved their family several times, sons Wilbur and Orville always considered this house, at 7 Hawthorn Street in Dayton, Ohio, to be home. Orville was born here in 1871, and sister Katharine in 1874. Wilbur died here in 1912. It was in this house that the Wright brothers began their studies in aviation.
Orville Wright lived at Hawthorn Hill from April 1914 until his death in 1948.
This photo Front view of 7 Hawthorn Street, the Wright home, with bare trees and a bicycle resting by the right gate of the front fence, about 1900. Photographer Orville Wright year taken unknown.
The porch was designed and built by the brothers in 1892.
Henry Ford acquired the Wright brothers’ home and cycle shop and relocated the buildings from Dayton, Ohio, to his Dearborn, Michigan, museum complex in 1937. Ford placed the structures right next to each other in Greenfield Village. In Dayton, the buildings had been located a few blocks apart.